temporary ( Library Employees Only ) Supervisory Computer/Electronics Engineer (120-Day Temporary Promotion or Detail Opportunity)
- Opening Date: August 1, 2022
- Closing Date: August 12, 2022
- LC Organization Unit: Library Collections and Services Group
- LC Organization Unit - Specific Office: National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled, Program Delivery Division, Channel Design and Deployment Section
- Grade: GS-14
- Series: 0854
- Availability: Library Employees Only
- Duration: 120-Day
The National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS), Program Delivery Division, is offering an opportunity for one qualified individual at the GS-13 level to serve on a full-time, 120-day temporary promotion to the GS-14 OR a qualified individual at the GS-14 to serve on a detail (no promotion) as a Supervisory Computer/Electronics Engineer.
The position serves as the Head of the Channel Design and Deployment Section (CDD) and works under the technical and administrative supervision of the Chief of the Program Delivery Division. The position supervises staff up to a GS-14 and provides oversight of research, development, integration, deployment, operations and lifecycle management of critical NLS products and delivery channels. Under the supervision of the Chief, the incumbent will:
- Supervise a group of employees performing work up to the GS-14 level
- Set and adjust short-term priorities, and prepare schedules for completion of work
- Review and approve or disapprove leave requests, and certify time and attendance records for staff
- Manage the maintenance of technical specifications relating to NLS products and channels for the delivery and distribution of NLS content
- Provide expert guidance to management for strategic planning and the application of state-of-the-art technology for product development to support the braille and talking book programs
- Provide recommendations for proposed product requirements, specifications, expected results, and budgetary estimates
- Provide engineering analysis for special projects, future projects, and planning of new systems and capabilities to support delivery of the braille and talking book programs
Application and Selection Process
This Detail and/or Temporary Promotion is open to permanent staff of the Library of Congress.
Consideration for eligible employees for this professional temporary promotion: 1) must have met the time-in-grade requirements at the GS-13 2) have at least a “successful” performance appraisal for their most recent performance period; and 3) will meet HCD’s eligibility determination (requires a resume along with the position description to be rated qualified.)
Interested candidates should, with permission from their supervisor, prepare a federal style resume with a one-page statement expressing interest in this opportunity, along with a description of their qualifications that includes current work experience and training related to the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
- Ability to lead a diverse workforce
- Ability to plan and manage electronics engineering projects or programs for product development
- Ability to interact collaboratively with others
- Ability to develop technical specifications and to perform contractor oversight for electronics or computer engineering projects
- Knowledge of electronics or computer engineering design principles, concepts, and practices
- Ability to communicate in writing
Interested candidates should submit these documents to John Brown (email@example.com) by the close of business on August 12, 2022. Applicant information will be reviewed and the top qualified candidate will be selected. The selection will be based on how well the candidate meets the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above.
The desired start date for this temporary/detail opportunity is August 29, 2022.
This position will be required to work onsite four days per pay period.