Photos, Prints, Drawings Mabel Brown, Jenny Bonds, Nancy Miller, and Sadie Miller, at their weekly quilting bee in Brown's Hollow
About this Item
- Mabel Brown, Jenny Bonds, Nancy Miller, and Sadie Miller, at their weekly quilting bee in Brown's Hollow
- Contributor Names
- Miller, Sadie (Depicted)
- Brown, Mabel Miller (Depicted)
- Bonds, Jenny Miller (Depicted)
- Jarrell, Nancy Miller (Depicted)
- Eiler, Lyntha Scott (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- September 26, 1995
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - Fall
- - September
- - Community events
- - Brown Hollow (W. Va.)
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - West Virginia -- Raleigh County -- Drews Creek
- - West Virginia -- Brown Hollow
- - Each Tuesday morning from September through May, a number of women on Drews Creek get together to quilt. Sometimes they quilt at the Ramp House, a community center at the head of Drews Creek across from the Delbert Free Will Baptist Church, to which most of the women belong. Many of the tops are pieced by the women on request, and they produce a number of quilts each year for sale at the annual Pine Knob Ramp Supper. As they quilt, the women catch up on news of the community, which often includes information about what's coming up in the gardens and in the woods.
- - Event: Quilting Bee.
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-LE-C005-01
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
ContributorsBonds, Jenny Miller
Brown, Mabel Miller
Eiler, Lyntha Scott
Jarrell, Nancy Miller
SubjectsBrown Hollow (w. Va.)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Miller, Sadie, Mabel Miller Brown, Jenny Miller Bonds, Nancy Miller Jarrell, and Lyntha Scott Eiler. Mabel Brown, Jenny Bonds, Nancy Miller, and Sadie Miller, at their weekly quilting bee in Brown's Hollow. 1995. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000051/. (Accessed July 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Miller, S., Brown, M. M., Bonds, J. M., Jarrell, N. M. & Eiler, L. S. (1995) Mabel Brown, Jenny Bonds, Nancy Miller, and Sadie Miller, at their weekly quilting bee in Brown's Hollow. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000051/.
MLA citation style:
Miller, Sadie, et al. Mabel Brown, Jenny Bonds, Nancy Miller, and Sadie Miller, at their weekly quilting bee in Brown's Hollow. 1995. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000051/>.