Photo, Print, Drawing Aerial view of Battle Ridge Coal Pit, in Orgas
About this Item
- Aerial view of Battle Ridge Coal Pit, in Orgas
- Contributor Names
- Eiler, Lyntha Scott (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- October 26, 1995
- Subject Headings
- - Fall
- - Mountaintop removal
- - October
- - Coal pits
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - West Virginia -- Boone County -- Orgas
- - To better understand the method of mining known as "mountaintop removal and reclamation," Lyntha Eiler and I visited the West Virginia Division of Environmental Protection. There we interviewed Roger Hall, the assistant director, who invited us to view by helicopter the mountaintop removal and reclamation in progress on the Marsh and Clear Forks of the Big Coal River. Benny Campbell, a mining inspector from the Logan County office of the DEP, accompanied us on our helicopter tour.
- - Event: Helicopter tour of Mountaintop Removal and Reclamation on Big Coal River watershed.
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-LE-C035-08
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Eiler, Lyntha Scott. Aerial view of Battle Ridge Coal Pit, in Orgas. Boone County Orgas West Virginia, 1995. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000111/. (Accessed February 22, 2018.)
APA citation style:
Eiler, L. S. (1995) Aerial view of Battle Ridge Coal Pit, in Orgas. Boone County Orgas West Virginia, 1995. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000111/.
MLA citation style:
Eiler, Lyntha Scott. Aerial view of Battle Ridge Coal Pit, in Orgas. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cmns000111/>.