Photos, Prints, Drawings Sludge pond and impoundment on Shumate's Branch
About this Item
- Sludge pond and impoundment on Shumate's Branch
- Contributor Names
- Eiler, Lyntha Scott (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- October 26, 1995
- Subject Headings
- - Fall
- - Shumate's Branch
- - Eagle Mine (W. Va.)
- - Goals Preparation Plant (Shumate's Branch, W. Va.)
- - October
- - Sludge dams
- - Eagle Seam (W. Va.)
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - West Virginia -- Raleigh County -- Sundial
- - West Virginia -- Raleigh County
- - West Virginia -- Shumate's Branch
- - Event: Helicopter tour of Mountaintop Removal and Reclamation on Big Coal River watershed.
- - "Shumate's Branch was settled in the 19th century by Green Clay (son of Charles and Aura Clay) and his wife Betsy Ann, daughter of Jacob and Celia Pettry, who had settled in Hazy Creek. The hollow was home to descendants of Clays, Pettrys and others until the mid-1980s, when the Peabody Coal Company implemented a plan formulated by Armco to build a "Shumate Branch Coal Refuse Impoundment." To clear the way for the impoundment, Peabody relocated several dozen families and a cemetery. A number of graves from the Clay family cemetery may be seen at the Pineview Cemetery in Orgas. At the foot of the dam, which measures ? feet high, is the Goals Preparation plant, and immediately downstream, the Marsh Fork Elementary School.
- - Note continuous beltline coal transport system, left center."
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-LE-C043-14
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
ContributorsEiler, Lyntha Scott
SubjectsEagle Mine (w. Va.)
Eagle Seam (w. Va.)
Goals Preparation Plant (shumate's Branch, W. Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Eiler, Lyntha Scott. Sludge pond and impoundment on Shumate's Branch. 1995. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000126/. (Accessed August 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Eiler, L. S. (1995) Sludge pond and impoundment on Shumate's Branch. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000126/.
MLA citation style:
Eiler, Lyntha Scott. Sludge pond and impoundment on Shumate's Branch. 1995. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000126/>.