Photo, Print, Drawing Clyde Bonds, at Daffy Bonds' house on Shumate's Branch
About this Item
- Clyde Bonds, at Daffy Bonds' house on Shumate's Branch
- Contributor Names
- Bradford, Rick (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- Mid- to Late-1980s
- Subject Headings
- - Nineteen eighties
- - Shumate's Branch
- - Vernacular architecture
- - Sludge dams
- - Yardscapes
- - Chestnut Hollow (Shumate's Branch, W. Va.)
- - Community undevelopment
- - Displacement
- - Slurry ponds
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - West Virginia -- Shumate's Branch
- - West Virginia -- Chestnut Hollow (Shumate's Branch)
- - Event: Visit to Homes on Shumate's Branch Prior to Evacuation in Preparation for Slurry Impoundment.
- - Rick Bradford of Edwight, West Virginia, took photographs of homes on Shumate's Branch just before they were torn down to build a slurry impoundment. Dave Bailey describes the houses, their inhabitants, and the way of life on Shumate's Branch in a taped interview. [CRF-MH-A226]
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-MH-C098-03
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
FormatPhoto, Print, Drawing
SubjectsChestnut Hollow (Shumate's Branch, W. Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bradford, Rick. Clyde Bonds, at Daffy Bonds' house on Shumate's Branch. Chestnut Hollow Shumate's Branch West Virginia, 1985. Mid- to Late-s. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000194/.
APA citation style:
Bradford, R. (1985) Clyde Bonds, at Daffy Bonds' house on Shumate's Branch. Chestnut Hollow Shumate's Branch West Virginia, 1985. Mid- to Late-s. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000194/.
MLA citation style:
Bradford, Rick. Clyde Bonds, at Daffy Bonds' house on Shumate's Branch. Mid- to Late-s. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cmns000194/>.