Photo, Print, Drawing James Dickens and Rev. Larry Brown prepare to baptize Vicky Jarrell in Coal River.
About this Item
- James Dickens and Rev. Larry Brown prepare to baptize Vicky Jarrell in Coal River.
- Contributor Names
- Brown, Larry (Depicted)
- Dickens, James (Depicted)
- Jarrell, Vicky (Depicted)
- Eiler, Lyntha Scott (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- April 14, 1996
- Subject Headings
- - Swimming holes
- - Community events
- - April
- - Spring
- - Crane Hole (W. Va.)
- - Fishing holes
- - Bar museums
- - Ritual immersion
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - West Virginia -- Raleigh County -- Arnett
- - West Virginia -- Coal River
- - The deeper holes of the Coal River have long supported the ritual of baptism by immersion in living waters. At the Crane Hole in Arnett, the bank slopes gently enough to allow wading into deep water. Here the congregation of the Arnett Chapel gathers behind the Arnett Fire Hall on a chilly April morning for the baptism of Vicky Jarrell. Reverend Larry Brown faces his congregation, singing "Shall We Gather at the River." The hymn may be heard on an audio clip in this collection.
- - Event: River baptism of Vicky Jarrell.
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-LE-C080-14
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
FormatPhoto, Print, Drawing
Eiler, Lyntha Scott
Crane Hole (W. Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Brown, Larry, James Dickens, Vicky Jarrell, and Lyntha Scott Eiler. James Dickens and Rev. Larry Brown prepare to baptize Vicky Jarrell in Coal River. Arnett Coal River Raleigh County West Virginia, 1996. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000463/. (Accessed December 11, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Brown, L., Dickens, J., Jarrell, V. & Eiler, L. S. (1996) James Dickens and Rev. Larry Brown prepare to baptize Vicky Jarrell in Coal River. Arnett Coal River Raleigh County West Virginia, 1996. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000463/.
MLA citation style:
Brown, Larry, et al. James Dickens and Rev. Larry Brown prepare to baptize Vicky Jarrell in Coal River. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000463/>.