Manuscript/Mixed Material Contact : a novel : draft
About this Item
- Contact : a novel : draft
- Contributor Names
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- Subject Headings
- - Astronomy
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Communication in science
- - Extraterrestrial life
- - Life on other planets
- - Science fiction
- - SETI
- - Religion and science
- - Fiction
- - Contact : a novel
- - Arroway, Ellie (Fictitious character)
- - Manuscripts
- - A full draft of Carl Sagan's science fiction novel, Contact. It tells the story of Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway, who directs "Project Argus," which uses radio telescopes in New Mexico to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). Alongside the search for life on other worlds, the book explores tensions between science and religion. Published in 1985 the book sold more than 1.7 million copies in the first two years.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- Source Collection
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- online text
Arroway, Ellie (Fictitious Character)
Communication in Science
Contact : A Novel
Life on Other Planets
Religion and Science
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Finding Our Place in the Cosmos with Carl Sagan
- Carl Sagan, Imagination, Science, and Mentorship: An interview with David Grinspoon
- Carl Sagan: Researcher, Educator, Communicator, Advocate and Activist - Finding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond
- Sagan's Thinking and Writing Process - Finding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive is protected by copyright. Permission to use these materials must be obtained from Ann Druyan or her designee.
The Library of Congress is displaying materials from The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive for educational and research purposes only. The Library of Congress does not own the rights to the materials in this collection and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Materials constituting this collection are protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights also apply. The written permission of Ann Druyan (or her designee) or other copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items to the extent required by law. Responsibility for securing permissions rests with persons desiring to use the items. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
Although the Estate of Carl E. Sagan has granted the Library a license to exhibit the materials, lend the materials, and digitize the materials for display on the Library.s website, this license does not extend to other parties. In addition, other third party rights may apply. In some cases, the Library has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Infringement or violations of copyright may result in monetary fines or criminal prosecution.
Access: Physical access to the collection materials is permitted in the Manuscript Reading Room, subject to Library policy.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Contact: A Novel: Draft. 1984. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000023/.
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1984) Contact: A Novel: Draft. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000023/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Contact: A Novel: Draft. 1984. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000023/>.