Manuscripts/Mixed Material Astronomy 490, Cornell University : ideas and prompts
About this Item
- Astronomy 490, Cornell University : ideas and prompts
- Contributor Names
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Astronomy
- - Journalism
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Critical thinking
- - Skepticism
- - Science--Study and teaching
- - Astronomy--Study and teaching
- - Science
- - Critical thinking--Study and teaching
- - Cornell University
- - Professional sports--Corrupt practices
- - United States--Foreign relations--Soviet Union
- - Advertising--Cigarettes
- - Political science
- - Manuscripts
- - A set of ideas and prompts Carl Sagan developed for Astronomy 490, Sagan's course "Critical thinking in scientific and non-scientific contexts" at Cornell University. Topics include potential corruption in professional sports, misreporting of statistical information in the news, the conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union, messages in cigarette advertising, and the role of government.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- Source Collection
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- online text
Study and Teaching
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive is protected by copyright. Permission to use these materials must be obtained from Ann Druyan or her designee.
The Library of Congress is displaying materials from The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive for educational and research purposes only. The Library of Congress does not own the rights to the materials in this collection and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Materials constituting this collection are protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights also apply. The written permission of Ann Druyan (or her designee) or other copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items to the extent required by law. Responsibility for securing permissions rests with persons desiring to use the items. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
Although the Estate of Carl E. Sagan has granted the Library a license to exhibit the materials, lend the materials, and digitize the materials for display on the Library.s website, this license does not extend to other parties. In addition, other third party rights may apply. In some cases, the Library has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Infringement or violations of copyright may result in monetary fines or criminal prosecution.
Access: Physical access to the collection materials is permitted in the Manuscript Reading Room, subject to Library policy.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Astronomy 490, Cornell University: ideas and prompts. 1986. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000037/. (Accessed October 01, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1986) Astronomy 490, Cornell University: ideas and prompts. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000037/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Astronomy 490, Cornell University: ideas and prompts. 1986. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000037/>.