Manuscript/Mixed Material For future time and beings : draft essay
About this Item
- For future time and beings : draft essay
- Contributor Names
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- Subject Headings
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Communication in science
- - Extraterrestrial life
- - Life on other planets
- - Outer space--Exploration
- - NASA
- - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- - Voyager Golden Record
- - Time capsules
- - Murmurs of Earth : the Voyager interstellar record
- - Voyager Project (U.S.)
- - Lomax, Alan
- - Manuscripts
- - A draft of the essay Carl Sagan contributed to the book Murmurs of Earth : the Voyager interstellar record published in 1978. In the essay, Sagan describes the goals of the Voyager Golden Records. Voyager Golden Records are phonograph records which were included aboard both Voyager spacecraft, which were launched in 1977. They contain sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth, and are intended for any intelligent extraterrestrial life form, or for future humans, who may find them. The draft situates the Voyager record in relation time capsule projects and recounts the decisions that went into what should be put on the record. The draft specifically mentions the contributions of Allen Lomax to this effort. In cases where Sagan wrote notes on the back of printed pages those pages were digitized.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- Source Collection
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- online text
Communication in Science
Life on Other Planets
Murmurs of Earth : The Voyager Interstellar Record
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Voyager Golden Record
Voyager Project (U.S.)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive is protected by copyright. Permission to use these materials must be obtained from Ann Druyan or her designee.
The Library of Congress is displaying materials from The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive for educational and research purposes only. The Library of Congress does not own the rights to the materials in this collection and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Materials constituting this collection are protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights also apply. The written permission of Ann Druyan (or her designee) or other copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items to the extent required by law. Responsibility for securing permissions rests with persons desiring to use the items. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
Although the Estate of Carl E. Sagan has granted the Library a license to exhibit the materials, lend the materials, and digitize the materials for display on the Library.s website, this license does not extend to other parties. In addition, other third party rights may apply. In some cases, the Library has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Infringement or violations of copyright may result in monetary fines or criminal prosecution.
Access: Physical access to the collection materials is permitted in the Manuscript Reading Room, subject to Library policy.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/. (Accessed June 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1978) For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/>.