Manuscript/Mixed Material For future time and beings : draft essay
About this Item
- For future time and beings : draft essay
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Communication in science
- - Extraterrestrial life
- - Life on other planets
- - Outer space--Exploration
- - NASA
- - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- - Voyager Golden Record
- - Time capsules
- - Murmurs of Earth : the Voyager interstellar record
- - Voyager Project (U.S.)
- - Lomax, Alan
- - Manuscripts
- - A draft of the essay Carl Sagan contributed to the book Murmurs of Earth : the Voyager interstellar record published in 1978. In the essay, Sagan describes the goals of the Voyager Golden Records. Voyager Golden Records are phonograph records which were included aboard both Voyager spacecraft, which were launched in 1977. They contain sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth, and are intended for any intelligent extraterrestrial life form, or for future humans, who may find them. The draft situates the Voyager record in relation time capsule projects and recounts the decisions that went into what should be put on the record. The draft specifically mentions the contributions of Allen Lomax to this effort. In cases where Sagan wrote notes on the back of printed pages those pages were digitized.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- online text
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/.
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1978) For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. For Future Time and Beings: Draft Essay. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000040/>.