Manuscript/Mixed Material Pale blue dot : a vision of the human future in space : second draft
About this Item
- Pale blue dot : a vision of the human future in space : second draft
- Contributor Names
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- Subject Headings
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Outer space--Exploration
- - Planets
- - Space colonies
- - Astronautics--Human factors
- - Asteroids
- - Manuscripts
- - The second of twenty full drafts of Pale blue dot : a vision of the human future in space, published in 1994. Sagan discusses the history of astronomy and considers the future of humanity in space, arguing that it is necessary for humanity's survival to explore and ultimately terraform and create human settlements on planets and asteroids. The draft is made up of interleaved notes. These notes were transcribed from audio recordings dictated by Carl Sagan. The resulting assembled document was then extensively marked up and revised by Sagan. In cases where Sagan wrote notes on the back of printed pages those pages were digitized.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- Source Collection
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- online text
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive is protected by copyright. Permission to use these materials must be obtained from Ann Druyan or her designee.
The Library of Congress is displaying materials from The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive for educational and research purposes only. The Library of Congress does not own the rights to the materials in this collection and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Materials constituting this collection are protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights also apply. The written permission of Ann Druyan (or her designee) or other copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items to the extent required by law. Responsibility for securing permissions rests with persons desiring to use the items. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
Although the Estate of Carl E. Sagan has granted the Library a license to exhibit the materials, lend the materials, and digitize the materials for display on the Library.s website, this license does not extend to other parties. In addition, other third party rights may apply. In some cases, the Library has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Infringement or violations of copyright may result in monetary fines or criminal prosecution.
Access: Physical access to the collection materials is permitted in the Manuscript Reading Room, subject to Library policy.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space: Second Draft. 1993. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000044/. (Accessed May 30, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1993) Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space: Second Draft. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000044/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space: Second Draft. 1993. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000044/>.