Manuscripts/Mixed Material Revision of scientific objectives for participation in the Voyager mission
About this Item
- Revision of scientific objectives for participation in the Voyager mission
- Contributor Names
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Sagan, Carl
- - Jupiter (Planet)
- - Outer space--Exploration
- - NASA
- - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- - Planetary science
- - Planetology
- - Cosmos (Television program)
- - Voyager Project (U.S.)
- - Jupiter (Planet)--Atmosphere
- - Saturn (Planet)--Atmosphere
- - Satellites
- - Smith, Brad
- - Manuscripts
- - A set of revisions to the scientific objectives of the Voyager mission prepared at the request of Bradford Smith, head of the Voyager Project's photo-imagery team. The brief document mentions a series of primary goals for the mission including the examination of chromophores in the atmospheres of Jupiter and Saturn, observation of vorticity and exchange in the Great Red Spot of Jupiter, and examination of the satellites of Jupiter and Saturn. The document ends with Sagan noting he will be on a leave of absence from Cornell University for the entire year of 1979 when he will be based in Los Angeles working on the television series Cosmos and devoting the remainder of his time to the Voyager mission.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- Source Collection
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- Online Format
- online text
Cosmos (television Program)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Voyager Project (u.s.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive is protected by copyright. Permission to use these materials must be obtained from Ann Druyan or her designee.
The Library of Congress is displaying materials from The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive for educational and research purposes only. The Library of Congress does not own the rights to the materials in this collection and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Materials constituting this collection are protected by copyright. Privacy and publicity rights also apply. The written permission of Ann Druyan (or her designee) or other copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items to the extent required by law. Responsibility for securing permissions rests with persons desiring to use the items. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
Although the Estate of Carl E. Sagan has granted the Library a license to exhibit the materials, lend the materials, and digitize the materials for display on the Library.s website, this license does not extend to other parties. In addition, other third party rights may apply. In some cases, the Library has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. Infringement or violations of copyright may result in monetary fines or criminal prosecution.
Access: Physical access to the collection materials is permitted in the Manuscript Reading Room, subject to Library policy.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Revision of scientific objectives for participation in the Voyager mission. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000072/. (Accessed October 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1978) Revision of scientific objectives for participation in the Voyager mission. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000072/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Revision of scientific objectives for participation in the Voyager mission. 1978. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000072/>.