Manuscript/Mixed Material Some threads: Possible plot for a short novel : note
About this Item
- Some threads: Possible plot for a short novel : note
- Sagan, Carl (Author)
- - Sagan, Carl
- - UFOs
- - Unidentified flying objects
- - Science fiction
- - Ideas riding
- - Washington, D.C
- - Central Intelligence Agency
- - CIA
- - National Security Agency
- - NSA
- - Extraterrestrial intelligence
- - Manuscripts
- - In this document, Carl Sagan outlines a plot for a science fiction novel. The outline involves the CIA and the NSA investigating UFOs. The tentative conclusion of this novel is "There is, probably on a small scale, a secret effort in Washington to examine the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence." From Carl Sagan's "ideas riding" files, a play on "ideas writing." These files contain a running set of initial concepts for various writing projects.
- Dimensions in inches: 11 x 8 1/2
- The Seth MacFarlane Collection of the Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Archive
- Manuscript Division
- online text
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
View more information about copyright law from the U.S. Copyright Office
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Some threads: Possible plot for a short novel: note. 1973. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000091/.
APA citation style:
Sagan, C. (1973) Some threads: Possible plot for a short novel: note. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000091/.
MLA citation style:
Sagan, Carl. Some threads: Possible plot for a short novel: note. 1973. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000091/>.