Photo, Print, Drawing The sounds of Earth
About this Item
- The sounds of Earth
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Waldheim, Kurt
- United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Creator)
Created / Published
- - Voyager Project (U.S.)
- - Physical Objects
- Physical Objects
- - A gold-plated copper disc that contains sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. Includes 115 images, a variety of natural sounds, 90-minutes of musical selections from different cultures and eras, and spoken greetings from Earth-people in fifty-five languages. In addition, it includes printed messages from President Jimmy Carter and U.N. Secretary General Kurt Waldheim.
- - NASA produced this recording in 1977 to accompany the Voyager 1 and 2 interstellar spacecraft.
- - Etched into matrix area: "to the makers of music--all worlds, all times."
- 1 sound disc : analog, 16-2/3 rpm ; 12 in.
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carter, Jimmy, Kurt Waldheim, and United States National Aeronautics And Space Administration. The sounds of Earth. , 1977. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000115/.
APA citation style:
Carter, J., Waldheim, K. & United States National Aeronautics And Space Administration. (1977) The sounds of Earth. , 1977. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000115/.
MLA citation style:
Carter, Jimmy, Kurt Waldheim, and United States National Aeronautics And Space Administration. The sounds of Earth. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cosmos000115/>.