Notated Music Captain Finch's Quickstep
About this Item
- Captain Finch's Quickstep
- Contributor Names
- Grafulla, C. S. (Claudio S.) -- 1810-1880 (composer)
- Fennell, Frederick (conductor)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, monographic.
- Subject Headings
- - Brass band music
- - Modern edition created by Library of Congress staff member David Arbury. Transcribed from original band books.
- Library of Congress Music Division http://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Online Format
- We know of no published version; the probable date of composition is sometime between 1850 and 1860. This arrangement, presumably Grafulla's, is from the manuscript band books of the Third New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, first set, no. 48, in the Music Division, Library of Congress. They are frequently referred to as the "Port Royal Band Books" because it was on Port Royal Island, S.C., that the band, under the leadership of Gustavus Ingalls, spent the greater part of the Civil War. Grafulla is represented by so many compositions and arrangements in the first set of these books that they have sometimes been erroneously referred to as "the Grafulla books" and pieces now known to be by others were once attributed to him. However, "Captain Finch's Quickstep" is one of the seventeen out of about fifty works in the collection with which he can certainly be credited. The demanding soprano parts are characteristic of the brass band style of the period, a style toward which Grafulla made a significant contribution. The piccolo part is in the original manuscript. print | Modern edition created by Library of Congress staff member David Arbury. Transcribed from original band books. Print (Form).
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Grafulla, C. S, and Frederick Fennell. Captain Finch's Quickstep. Library of Congress, monographic. Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/cwband.scor003/.
APA citation style:
Grafulla, C. S. & Fennell, F. Captain Finch's Quickstep. Library of Congress, monographic. [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cwband.scor003/.
MLA citation style:
Grafulla, C. S, and Frederick Fennell. Captain Finch's Quickstep. Library of Congress, monographic. Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/cwband.scor003/>.