Event | Special Events Japanese Culture Day
Date and Location
When: Saturday, March 23, 2019
10:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
Add to calendar
Where: Thomas Jefferson Building - Young Readers Center
10 1st Street SE, Washington, DC 20540
Request ADA accommodations five business days in advance at (202) 707-6362 or ADA@loc.gov.
Sponsored by the Library of Congress, Japan-America Society of Washington DC and the National Conference of State Societies, this event will provide an exciting opportunity for children of all ages, their families and teachers to learn about Japanese culture through reading, writing and craft-making with Japanese cultural and linguistic professionals. Japanese-related books also will be on display. One special highlight of the day is “Japan-In-A-Suitcase,” an inspiring program about Japanese life and culture. Other activities include:
- Rodd Chin and his students performing Japanese drum music, including Sakura Saku Ondo;
- Sakura Saku Ondo dance performance by Satoko Kajima Best;
- Former Cherry Blossom princesses providing instructions on the art of tiara-making;
- Hands-on lessons about origami artwork creation;
- Decorative Konobori coloring, the kimono dress-up experience and more.