Audio Recording Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe
Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe
Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe
About this Item
- Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe
- Kennedy, Stetson (Collector)
- Halpert, Herbert, 1911-2000 (Collector)
- Hurston, Zora Neale (Speaker)
- Halpert, Herbert, 1911-2000 (Speaker)
- Hurston, Zora Neale (Performer)
Created / Published
- Jacksonville, Florida
- - African Americans
- - Work songs
- - Songs
- - United States -- Florida -- Duval County -- Jacksonville
- - A railroad work (spiking) song, learned from Max Ford, an old railroad employee on a construction gang near Miami ca. 1930.
- - Zora Neale Hurston, originally of Eatonville, Florida, was already a published novelist and folklorist when she took a job with the Federal Writers' Project in Florida.
- - The sound quality of this recording is extremely poor. It has been included online because the melody line can still be identified.
- - Performance Note: "Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe" (vocals with hammering) performed by Zora Neale Hurston at Federal Music Project Office, Jacksonville, Florida, on June 18, 1939.
- Sound disc : analog ; 12 in.
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1939/005: AFS 03135 A01
- Herbert Halpert 1939 Southern States Recording Expedition (AFC 1939/005)
- American Folklife Center
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset of the sound recordings in this collection (44 items) are not included in this online presentation due to considerations of sound quality or other concerns. See a list of the items in the American Folklife Center's holdings but not provided here online. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center. The staff of the American Folklife Center is eager to learn more about the musical compositions and performers included in the collection and encourages the public to contact them with any information.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
- Resettlement Administration Recordings Collection (AFC 1939/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook Florida WPA Recordings (AFC 1939/013), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Alton C. Morris Florida WPA recordings (AFC 1939/026), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center correspondence files, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, Herbert Halpert, Zora Neale Hurston, Herbert Halpert, and Zora Neale Hurston. Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe. Jacksonville, Florida, 1939. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000003/.
APA citation style:
Kennedy, S., Halpert, H., Hurston, Z. N., Halpert, H. & Hurston, Z. N. (1939) Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe. Jacksonville, Florida. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000003/.
MLA citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, et al. Gonna See My Long-Haired Babe. Jacksonville, Florida, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000003/>.