Audio Recordings Let the Deal Go Down
About this Item
- Let the Deal Go Down
- Contributor Names
- Kennedy, Stetson (Collector)
- Halpert, Herbert, 1911-2000 (Collector)
- Hurston, Zora Neale (Performer)
- Created / Published
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Gambling--Songs and music
- - Songs
- - United States -- Florida -- Duval County -- Jacksonville
- - Zora Neale Hurston, originally of Eatonville, Florida, was already a published novelist and folklorist when she took a job with the Federal Writers' Project in Florida.
- - A gambling song to accompany the game "Georgia Skin," learned at a turpentine camp in Florida.
- - This recording begins with a series of skips.
- - Performance Note: "Let the Deal Go Down" (vocals) performed by Zora Neale Hurston at Federal Music Project Office, Jacksonville, Florida, on June 18, 1939.
- Sound disc : analog ; 12 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1939/005: AFS 03137 B02
- Source Collection
- Herbert Halpert 1939 Southern States Recording Expedition (AFC 1939/005)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset of the sound recordings in this collection (44 items) are not included in this online presentation due to considerations of sound quality or other concerns. See a list of the items in the American Folklife Center's holdings but not provided here online. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center. The staff of the American Folklife Center is eager to learn more about the musical compositions and performers included in the collection and encourages the public to contact them with any information.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
- Resettlement Administration Recordings Collection (AFC 1939/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook Florida WPA Recordings (AFC 1939/013), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Alton C. Morris Florida WPA recordings (AFC 1939/026), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center correspondence files, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, Herbert Halpert, and Zora Neale Hurston. Let the Deal Go Down. Jacksonville, Florida, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000011/. (Accessed July 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Kennedy, S., Halpert, H. & Hurston, Z. N. (1939) Let the Deal Go Down. Jacksonville, Florida. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000011/.
MLA citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, Herbert Halpert, and Zora Neale Hurston. Let the Deal Go Down. Jacksonville, Florida, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000011/>.