Audio Recordings Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse
About this Item
- Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse
- Contributor Names
- Kennedy, Stetson (Collector)
- Cook, Robert Harrison (Collector)
- Kennedy, Stetson (Speaker)
- Andux, Evelio (Speaker)
- Andux, Evelio (Performer)
- Created / Published
- Ybor City, Florida
- Subject Headings
- - Tales
- - Cuban Americans
- - Spoken word
- - United States -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Ybor City
- Spoken word
- - Ybor City, now a neighborhood within Tampa, was settled in 1886 by Cuban cigar manufacturers under the leadership of Vicente Martínez de Ybor. The cigar companies moved from Key West to avoid unionization of their workers.
- - The sound quality of this recording is poor.
- - Evelio Andux, age 37, of Cuban descent (father of French descent), born in Key West, Florida, tells the story of "Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse," in Spanish.
- - Performance Note: "Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse" (spoken) performed by Evelio Andux at Ybor City, Florida, on August 24, 1939.
- Sound disc : analog ; 12 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1939/013: AFS 03530 A02
- Source Collection
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook WPA Florida Recordings (AFC 1939/013)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset of the sound recordings in this collection (44 items) are not included in this online presentation due to considerations of sound quality or other concerns. See a list of the items in the American Folklife Center's holdings but not provided here online. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center. The staff of the American Folklife Center is eager to learn more about the musical compositions and performers included in the collection and encourages the public to contact them with any information.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
- Resettlement Administration Recordings Collection (AFC 1939/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook Florida WPA Recordings (AFC 1939/013), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Alton C. Morris Florida WPA recordings (AFC 1939/026), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center correspondence files, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, Robert Harrison Cook, Stetson Kennedy, Evelio Andux, and Evelio Andux. Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse. Ybor City, Florida, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000176/. (Accessed July 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Kennedy, S., Cook, R. H., Kennedy, S., Andux, E. & Andux, E. (1939) Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse. Ybor City, Florida. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000176/.
MLA citation style:
Kennedy, Stetson, et al. Miss Martinez Cockroach and Mr. Perez Mouse. Ybor City, Florida, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000176/>.