Audio Recording To proto filli Translated title: The First Kiss
To proto filli
About this Item
- To proto filli
- Translated title: The First Kiss
- Filareton, John (Collector)
- Anastassiou, Evee G. (Performer)
- Kavouklis, Katherine (Performer)
- Klonaris, M. (Performer)
Created / Published
- Tarpon Springs, Florida
- - Love songs
- - Greek Americans
- - Greek Americans--Music
- - Songs
- - United States -- Florida -- Pinellas County -- Tarpon Springs
- - The sound quality of this recording is extremely poor. It has been included online because the melody line can still be identified.
- - Tarpon Springs was settled by Greek sponge fishers in 1905.
- - Performer referred to elsewhere as Evee Pappas
- - Performer referred to elsewhere as Catherine Kavoukli, Katherine Kavouklis, or Kathryn Kavouklees
- - A very popular Greek folksong, expressing the joy and memories of the first kiss.
- - The singers are sisters, members of the Byzantine Choir of Tarpon Springs, Florida, and students at Tarpon Springs schools.
- - Performance Note: "To proto filli" (vocals with piano) performed by M. Klonaris, Katherine Kavouklis, and Evee G. Anastassiou at Philoptochos Society, Tarpon Springs, Florida, on May 12, 1940.
- Sound disc : analog ; 12 in.
Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1940/011: AFS 03883 B01
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011)
- American Folklife Center
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset of the sound recordings in this collection (44 items) are not included in this online presentation due to considerations of sound quality or other concerns. See a list of the items in the American Folklife Center's holdings but not provided here online. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center. The staff of the American Folklife Center is eager to learn more about the musical compositions and performers included in the collection and encourages the public to contact them with any information.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
- Resettlement Administration Recordings Collection (AFC 1939/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook Florida WPA Recordings (AFC 1939/013), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Alton C. Morris Florida WPA recordings (AFC 1939/026), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center correspondence files, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Filareton, John, Evee G Anastassiou, Katherine Kavouklis, and M Klonaris. To Proto Filli. Tarpon Springs, Florida, 1940. Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000324/.
APA citation style:
Filareton, J., Anastassiou, E. G., Kavouklis, K. & Klonaris, M. (1940) To Proto Filli. Tarpon Springs, Florida. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000324/.
MLA citation style:
Filareton, John, et al. To Proto Filli. Tarpon Springs, Florida, 1940. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000324/>.