Book/Printed Material Togo unter deutscher flagge; reisebilder und betrachtungen
About this Item
- Togo unter deutscher flagge; reisebilder und betrachtungen
- Germany, a latecomer to the competition among the European powers for colonies in Africa, established the Togoland Protectorate in 1884. Encompassing the territory of present-day Togo and the Volta Region District of Ghana in western Africa, Togo was portrayed by German imperial circles as a model colony, financially self-sufficient and benefiting from bridges, roads, and railroads built to support an agricultural industry based on cacao, coffee, and cotton exports. Later historians disputed this characterization, noting the often harsh treatment of the Togolese under German rule. The German authorities used scientific expeditions to extend their control to the interior of the colony. Heinrich Klose was a researcher from Berlin who, in 1894-98, spent nearly four years in Togo and took part in an expedition to its northern areas. Togo unter deutscher Flagge (Togo under the German flag) is his account of his stay and the expedition to the north. The book contains valuable information about the geography, people, and economy of the country, but it was also intended to validate the model colony thesis and to argue that the success of Togoland was evidence of Germany's abilities as an imperial power. Germany lost the colony in 1914, when it was occupied by French and British forces in the early days of World War I. World Digital Library.
- Klose, Heinrich, 1864-
Created / Published
- Berlin, D. Reimer, 1899.
- - Togoland--Description and travel
- - Bibliography: p. xxi-xxii.
- xxii, 561 p. front., illus., plates, fold. map, fold. plan, facsim. 25 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DT582 .K66
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Klose, Heinrich. Togo Unter Deutscher Flagge; Reisebilder Und Betrachtungen. Berlin, D. Reimer, 1899. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/g01000746/.
APA citation style:
Klose, H. (1899) Togo Unter Deutscher Flagge; Reisebilder Und Betrachtungen. Berlin, D. Reimer. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/g01000746/.
MLA citation style:
Klose, Heinrich. Togo Unter Deutscher Flagge; Reisebilder Und Betrachtungen. Berlin, D. Reimer, 1899. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/g01000746/>.