(June 1, 2020) On May 10, 2020, the government of Peru issued Legislative Decree No. 1505, authorizing public entities to implement remote work until December 31, 2020, for public sector workers confronting the COVID-19 health emergency. The exceptional temporary measures are aimed at ensuring that civil servants return to their workplaces gradually, under conditions that guarantee their safety, health, and labor rights.
The exceptional measures allowed under the decree include the following:
- performing remote work, when possible, with alternating days of remote work and on-site service
- loaning civil servants computer equipment to carry out remote work, when appropriate
- reduced work day
- modified work schedule
- establishing shifts of on-site work, in combination with remote work, when possible
- providing transportation for civil servants commuting to their workplaces or when they require transportation to carry out their duties
- providing civil servants with personal protective equipment
- monitoring the health of civil servants
In adopting these measures, the special needs of disabled public servants must be taken into consideration.
Public servants may also get job training, preferably online.
Workers who are under special paid leave due to COVID-19 will be required to recover the time not worked once the state of emergency is over and they return to on-site work, even if that is during 2021.
Exceptionally, until December 31, 2020, and depending on the service’s needs, civil servants may be assigned new functions or vary the functions already assigned, regardless of their labor regime, on the basis of their professional profile and work experience.