Maps [Map of New York Island and vicinity.
About this Item
- [Map of New York Island and vicinity.
- Contributor Names
- Stevens, Henry, 1819-1886.
- Heath, William, 1737-1814.
- Created / Published
- 1776. 1840?]
- Subject Headings
- - New York (N.Y.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--New York (State)--New York
- - Scale 1:126,720; 1/2 an in. to a mile.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink tracing "copied from a map found among the Heath papers in the hands of Amos A. Lawrence, Esq. of Boston, by Henry Stevens, Jr." The Heath papers are now in the Massachusetts Historical Society collections.
- - Area extends from above Dobbs Ferry to Red Hook in Long Island, from Hackensack River to Bynam's River.
- - Shows information of military interest after the Battle of Long Island and before the fall of Fort Washington.
- - Indexed.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- map on sheet 53 x 41 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3804.N4 1776 .M3 1840
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division W ashington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Stevens, Henry, and William Heath. [Map of New York Island and vicinity]. [. 1840?, 1840] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000923/. (Accessed September 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Stevens, H. & Heath, W. (1840) [Map of New York Island and vicinity]. [. 1840?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000923/.
MLA citation style:
Stevens, Henry, and William Heath. [Map of New York Island and vicinity]. [. 1840?, 1840] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000923/>.