Map Reconnoissance, juillet 1781.
About this Item
- Reconnoissance, juillet 1781.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - New York (N.Y.)--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Hell Gate (New York, N.Y.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--New York (State)--New York
- - United States--New York (State)--Hell Gate (New York)
- - Scale ca. 1:18,400; 700 t[oises] = 75 mm.
- - Alternate title from Philip Lee Phillips' A list of maps of America: Reconnoissance juillet 1781. Ouvrages et redoutes-Morisania [continent] îles de New York, Montresor et Buchanan.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Has watermarks.
- - Oriented with north to the right.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Shows fortifications on "Isle de New York" in vicinity of Hell Gate.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1216
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2: 440; 651/1
- col. map, on sheet 31 x 39 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3804.N4R4 1781 .R4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
- Rochambeau Map Collection (71)
- France in America (582)
- American Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750 to 1789 (1,432)
- Military Battles and Campaigns (4,483)
- Geography and Map Division (55,350)
- American Memory (512,509)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,179,058)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Reconnoissance, Juillet.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000994/.
APA citation style:
(1781) Reconnoissance, Juillet. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000994/.
MLA citation style:
Reconnoissance, Juillet.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71000994/>.
More Maps like this
MapOyster Bay and Huntington. Huntington Bay. Scale ca. 1:25,250. Relief shown by hachures and shading. Depths shown by soundings. Includes text and inset "Hell Gate" ca. 1:25,250. LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1231 Available also through the...
- Contributor: Des Barres, Joseph F. W. - Des Barres, Joseph F. W. (Joseph Frederick Wallet)
- Date: 1778
Map[Plan de New-York et des îles environnantes. Scale ca. 1:10,000. Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor. Title from manuscript label on verso as originally mounted. Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. Shows fortifications. LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789,...
- Date: 1781
MapMarche de l'armée française de Providence à la Rivière du Nord. Scale ca. 1:200,000. Manuscript, pen-and-ink (black and red) and watercolor. Relief shown by hachures. LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 830 Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a...
- Date: 1781
Map[Plan de New-York et les environs. Scale ca. 1:82,000. Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor. Relief shown by hachures. "Legende" indicates earthworks, forts, etc. with indication of number of soldiers to man them. LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1214...
- Date: 1781
MapReconnoissance des ouvrages du nord de l'Isle de Newyork dont on a déterminé géometriquement les principaux ... Scale ca. 1:10,300; échelle de 600 toises = 94 cm. Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor. Has watermark. Relief shown by hachures. Shows forts and redoubts. Indexed. LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1215...
- Date: 1781