Map Batteries de West-point au haut de la Rivière d'York.
About this Item
- Batteries de West-point au haut de la Rivière d'York.
- "This hand-drawn pen-and-ink manuscript map was created during the American Revolutionary War, possibly in 1781. It shows the artillery batteries located at West Point, Virginia. At this time "West Point" referred to an area within the colonial town of Delaware, which by 1870 would become the town of West Point. The batteries are situated at the point where the Pamunkey and Matapony (present-day Mattaponi) Rivers meet to form the York River. The batteries are marked with letters A, B, C, and D, and their ranges and fields of fire marked. The map also shows houses, cultivated fields, ferries, vegetation, and channels and soundings on the Pamunkey and Mattaponi Rivers. Relief is shown by hachures. The index in the bottom right-hand corner indicates the number and size of the guns mounted at each battery. Scale is given in toises, an old French unit measuring about 1.95 meters. The map is from the Rochambeau Collection at the Library of Congress, which consists of 40 manuscript maps, 26 printed maps, and a manuscript atlas that belonged to Jean-Baptiste-Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau (1725-1807), commander in chief of the French expeditionary army (1780-82) during the American Revolution. Some of the maps were used by Rochambeau during the war. Dating from 1717 to 1795, the maps cover much of eastern North America, from Newfoundland and Labrador in the north to Haiti in the south. The collection includes maps of cities, maps showing Revolutionary War battles and military campaigns, and early state maps from the 1790s." World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- - West Point (Va.)--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Virginia--West Point
- - Includes index to types of guns mounted.
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink.
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - Scale ca. 1:5,400.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1458
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2: 440; 651/1
- - Vault
- map on sheet 32 x 41 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3884.W44S3 1781 .B3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Rochambeau Map Collection (71)
- France in America (634)
- American Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750 to 1789 (1,435)
- Military Battles and Campaigns (4,492)
- World Digital Library (19,400)
- Geography and Map Division (56,099)
- American Memory (514,882)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,409,723)
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Batteries de West-point au haut de la Rivière d'York. [?, 1781] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71002172/.
APA citation style:
(1781) Batteries de West-point au haut de la Rivière d'York. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71002172/.
MLA citation style:
Batteries de West-point au haut de la Rivière d'York. [?, 1781] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71002172/>.