Map Plan d'York en Virginie avec les attaques faites par les Armées françoise et américaine en 8bre. 1781.
About this Item
- Plan d'York en Virginie avec les attaques faites par les Armées françoise et américaine en 8bre. 1781.
- "This pen-and-ink and watercolor manuscript map shows the movements of the French and American armies in the vicinity of York, Virginia, in October 1781, during the Battle of Yorktown. The map is by Querenet de la Combe, a cartographer and lieutenant colonel of engineers with the army of the French commander, General Rochambeau. York (more commonly known as Yorktown after the Revolutionary War) was founded in 1691 and became a major port for the export of tobacco. The map shows British defenses at Yorktown, as well as the parallel formations of the French and Americans. A legend with a lettered key is used to highlight military fortifications and ship positions. The map also shows ships in the York River, fortifications on Gloucester Point across the river, vegetation, and houses and roads. Relief is shown by hachures. Scale is given in toises, an old French unit measuring almost 1.95 meters. Yorktown was the last major land battle of the Revolutionary War. The defeat of the British and the surrender of the army under Lord Cornwallis led to peace negotiations and conclusion of the Treaty of Paris of September 3, 1783, which officially ended hostilities and brought international recognition of American independence. The map is from the Rochambeau Collection at the Library of Congress, which consists of 40 manuscript maps, 26 printed maps, and a manuscript atlas that belonged to Jean-Baptiste-Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau (1725-1807), commander in chief of the French expeditionary army (1780-82) during the American Revolution. Some of the maps were used by Rochambeau during the war. Dating from 1717 to 1795, the maps cover much of eastern North America, from Newfoundland and Labrador in the north to Haiti in the south. The collection includes maps of cities, maps showing Revolutionary War battles and military campaigns, and early state maps from the 1790s." World Digital Library.
- Querenet de La Combe,
Created / Published
- - Yorktown (Va.)--History--Siege, 1781--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Virginia--Yorktown
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Scale ca. 1:4,800.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1466
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2: 400; 651/1
- - Vault
- col. map 87 x 70 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3884.Y6S3 1781 .Q4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Rochambeau Map Collection (71)
- France in America (632)
- American Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750 to 1789 (1,435)
- Military Battles and Campaigns (4,492)
- World Digital Library (19,401)
- Geography and Map Division (56,355)
- American Memory (513,954)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,359,436)
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Querenet De La Combe. Plan d'York en Virginie avec les attaques faites par les Armées françoise et américaine en 8bre.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71002175/.
APA citation style:
Querenet De La Combe. (1781) Plan d'York en Virginie avec les attaques faites par les Armées françoise et américaine en 8bre. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71002175/.
MLA citation style:
Querenet De La Combe. Plan d'York en Virginie avec les attaques faites par les Armées françoise et américaine en 8bre.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71002175/>.