Map Wan li hai fang tu shuo 万里海防圖说 / / Wan li hai fang tu / Jiao Lai He bian yi tu shuo hui ji / Illustrated map of Qing Empire coastal fortifications
About this Item
- Wan li hai fang tu shuo
- 万里海防圖说 /
- Wan li hai fang tu
- Jiao Lai He bian yi tu shuo hui ji
- Illustrated map of Qing Empire coastal fortifications
- Hummel, Arthur W. (Arthur William), Sr., 1884-1975.
- Tan, Jiuchou, active 17th century.
- Zhang, Qianyi, jin shi 1712.
Created / Published
- [Qing Yongzheng 3 nian, 1725]
- Wan li hai fang tu -- Jiao lai he bian yi tu shuo hui ji.
- - Coast defenses--China--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Grand Canal (China)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Grand Canal (China)--Maps--Early works to 1800--Facsimiles
- - China--Grand Canal
- Manuscript maps
- Early maps
- - Pictorial map.
- - Shows defense installations of the Grand Canal and the Chinese coast line from Hainan Island to Liaodong Peninsula.
- - Originally drawn during Ming Jiaqing period between1524 and 1526. The map was a copy drawn in 1725.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Cover title.
- - Oriented with north to the left.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes text.
- - Gift; Arthur William Hummel; 1930, no. 7.
- 2 ms. maps on 1 sheet : col. ; 32 x 376 cm. and 32 x 434 cm., sheet 32 x 1,600 cm., folded in cover 32 x 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7821.R4 1725 .W3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hummel, Arthur W. , Sr, Jiuchou Tan, and Qianyi Zhang. Wan LI Hai Fang Tu Shuo. [Qing Yongzheng 3 nian, 1725] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005020/.
APA citation style:
Hummel, A. W., Tan, J. & Zhang, Q. (1725) Wan LI Hai Fang Tu Shuo. [Qing Yongzheng 3 nian] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005020/.
MLA citation style:
Hummel, Arthur W. , Sr, Jiuchou Tan, and Qianyi Zhang. Wan LI Hai Fang Tu Shuo. [Qing Yongzheng 3 nian, 1725] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71005020/>.