Map Qi sheng yan hai tu. 七省沿海图
About this Item
- Qi sheng yan hai tu.
- "This coastal map of China is one of several such maps in the Library of Congress. The map is similar, in content and format, to the six maps in Chen Luntong's Hai quo wen jian lu (Eyewitness accounts of the coastal regions), made in 1730. The wording of several place-names and other details suggest that this map dates from 1787-1820. An introductory text states that it was compiled in the interest of coastal defense. The scroll map contains hundreds of place-names and is intended to be read from right to left. Interspersed at irregular intervals are notes on sea routes and sailing directions. Distances are given in li, a measure that has changed length over time. The quality of the calligraphy and the cartography suggest that the map was made for the emperor. Shown here is the mouth of the Zhu Jiang (Pearl River) and the Macau area. The text reads: "The coastal region of Xing Hui and Hu Men in Canton Province consists of an important strategic point, which should be given sufficient defense attention. This region is heavily infested with inner river bandits and sea pirates who can sail in and out freely. It also shares a border with Macau, where foreign boats and ships visit frequently. Those foreign vessels are always to be guarded against." The oldest permanent European settlement in Asia, Macau was established in 1557 by the Portuguese, who at that time dominated European trade with Asia." World Digital Library.
- Hummel, Arthur W. (Arthur William), Sr., 1884-1975.
Created / Published
- - Coasts--China--Maps
- - China--Maps, Pictorial
- - Eastern Hemisphere--Maps, Manuscript
- - Hainan Sheng (China)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Penghu County (Taiwan)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Taiwan--Maps, Manuscript
- - China--Macau (Special Administrative Region)
- - Eastern Hemisphere
- - China--Hainan Sheng
- - Taiwain--Penghu County
- - Hummel purchase 1934, no. 1.
- - Includes text.
- - Insets: Huan hai quan tu -- Qi sheng yan hai quan tu -- Qiongzhou tu -- Penghu tu -- Taiwan tu -- Taiwan hou shan tu.
- - LC copy has digital scan of area surround Macau only.
- - Oriented with north to the right.
- - Pictorial map.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title pasted on verso.
- - Translated title: Coastal map of China.
- - Scale ca. 1:760,000.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2: 650/1; 651/2; 651/3; 651/4; 651/6; 700
- - Previous call number:: G7822.C6A5 1820 .Q5 Vault Shelf
- 1 ms. map : col. ; 29 x 543 cm. on scroll 29 x 895 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7822.C6A5 1820 .Q5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Eastern Hemisphere
- Hainan Sheng
- Macau (Special Administrative Region)
- Penghu County
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hummel, Arthur W. , Sr. Qi Sheng Yan Hai Tu. [to 1820, 1881] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005022/.
APA citation style:
Hummel, A. W. (1881) Qi Sheng Yan Hai Tu. [to 1820] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005022/.
MLA citation style:
Hummel, Arthur W. , Sr. Qi Sheng Yan Hai Tu. [to 1820, 1881] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71005022/>.