Map Chōroku Edo zu utsushi. 長禄江戶圖写.
About this Item
- Chōroku Edo zu utsushi.
- "This map shows villages in the province of Musashi that later grew together to form the city of Edo (present-day Tokyo). Edo Castle, built in 1457, is placed in the center of the map, which includes shrines, village names, and a tameike (reservoir) constructed in 1606, which dried up around 1877. A brief historical background on the establishment of the city is provided in red letters on the lower left. The title of the map implies that it was modeled on a map from the Chōroku period (1457-59), made after the castle was built and before the town was fully established. Similar maps were reprinted in various iterations from the 18th century. The original map has not been found, however, and it is unclear whether any original actually was drawn during the Chōroku period. This map may have been a retrospective view of the district, made later as an imagined portrayal of the birth of the capital city or as a study of 15th-century history. The map is oriented with north toward the upper right." World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- [Japan : publisher not identified] Bunka 1 [1804?]
- - Manuscript maps
- - Japan--History--1333-1600--Maps
- - Tokyo (Japan)--Maps
- - Japan--Tokyo
- Early maps
- Manuscript maps
- Pictorial maps
- - Includes text dated 1778.
- - Japanese.
- - Manuscript.
- - Oriented with north toward the upper right.
- - Pictorial map.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Shows villages in the province of Musashi which later grew together to form city of Edo, during the Chōroku period (1457-1459).
- - Title from verso.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2
- - Vault
- - Note hand-writing in red ink 安永 7年 , 文化元年  狩野〓川家蔵."
- col. map on sheet 54 x 63 cm. fold. to 16 x 13 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7964.T7A5 1459 .C5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chōroku Edo zu utsushi. [Japan: publisher not identified Bunka 1 ?, 1804] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005173/.
APA citation style:
(1804) Chōroku Edo zu utsushi. [Japan: publisher not identified Bunka 1 ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005173/.
MLA citation style:
Chōroku Edo zu utsushi. [Japan: publisher not identified Bunka 1 ?, 1804] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm71005173/>.