Map Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April, 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April, 1864.
- Illustrates the layout of Andersonville Camp, as Sneden refers to the prison, and the surrounding area where Confederate guard troops of the 1st Florida Battery were stationed including the headquarters of Captain Henry Wirz, roads in and out, topographical features such as swampland, a graveyard presumed to be connected with the prison, and "Anderson Village." Sneden revised this map and it is available as Mss5:1 Sn237:1 (v. 5, p. 560).
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- - Wirz, Henry,--1823?-1865
- - Confederate States of America.--Army.--Florida Artillery Battery, 1st
- - Andersonville Prison
- - Military prisons--Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Andersonville (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - United States--Georgia--Andersonville
- - Bottom of the map: "The 1st detachment of Union Prisoners arrived Feby. 15th."
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 5, p. 451).
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15 x 19 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April. 1864. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00028/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00028/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Andersonville Prison or "Camp Sumter," April. 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00028/>.