Maps Plan of Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., Georgia.
About this Item
- Plan of Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., Georgia.
- This is a revised plan showing the physical layout of Andersonville Prison in August 1864. This is a corrected drawing of his map cataloged as Mss5:1 Sn237:1 (v. 5, p. 451).
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Army.--New York Infantry Regiment, 40th (1861-1865)
- - Andersonville Prison
- - Military prisons--Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Andersonville (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - United States--Georgia--Andersonville
- - Bottom margin of the map: "During August the Union prisoners numbered 31,678, of whom 1,693 were in Hospital. 2,993 died in August. There were 31,693 prisoners, Aug. 31st. Number of prisoners shot by Rebel guard 300. Number buried in graveyard 12,729."
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 5, p. 560).
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 14 x 17 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
New York Infantry Regiment, 40th
Prisoners and Prisons
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., Georgia. 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00029/. (Accessed July 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., Georgia. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00029/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Andersonville Prison, Sumter Co., Georgia. 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00029/>.