Maps The Rebel defences [sic] of Savannah, Georgia, Nov. 1864.
About this Item
- The Rebel defences [sic] of Savannah, Georgia, Nov. 1864.
- Includes Confederate fortifications and batteries in and around Savannah, Ga., during Sherman's March to the Sea, also referred to as the Savannah Campaign of 15 November to 21 December 1864. Sneden includes Argyle Island in the Savannah River, past the city to Fort Pulaski on Cockspur Island, and Big and Little Tybee islands, where Union forces were located in November 1864.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Subject Headings
- - Sherman, William T.--(William Tecumseh),--1820-1891
- - Sherman's March to the Sea
- - Fort Pulaski (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Savannah (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Savannah River (Ga. and S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Georgia--Savannah
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 6, p. 106).
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercol. ; 14 x 16 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Fort Pulaski (Ga.)
Savannah River (Ga. And S.C.)
Sherman's March to the Sea
Sherman, William T.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, Nov. 1864]. 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00030/. (Accessed December 05, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, Nov. 1864]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00030/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [The Rebel defences sic of Savannah, Georgia, Nov. 1864]. 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00030/>.