Map [Map of Alexandria, Virginia]
About this Item
- [Map of Alexandria, Virginia]
- Illustrates Alexandria's central position in the defense of Washington, where at least 12 outlying forts surrounded the city. Military camps of various Union officers such as Samuel Peter Heintzelman are indicated on this map.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- - Heintzelman, Samuel Peter,--1805-1880
- - Alexandria (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fort Lyon (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Alexandria
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - United States--Virginia--Fort Lyon
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - Samuel Peter Heintzelman, whom Sneden served under, was headquartered at Fort Lyon, southwest of Alexandria. Heintzelman was in charge of the defense of Washington from 27 October 1862-13 October 1863.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 1, p. 261).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 14 x 19 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of Alexandria, Virginia. 1861. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00032/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1861) Map of Alexandria, Virginia. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00032/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of Alexandria, Virginia. 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00032/>.