Maps Map shewing [sic] movements of Union and Rebel armies from 30th June to 13th July 1863.
About this Item
- Map shewing [sic] movements of Union and Rebel armies from 30th June to 13th July 1863.
- Covers parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia, focusing on the Gettysburg area south through Sharpsburg and Frederick City, Md., and ending around Harpers Ferry, Va. [now W.Va.]. At the end of June 1863, Union and Confederate troops were moving towards Gettysburg, Pa. The conflict at Gettysburg was fought July 1-3 with Confederate troops retreating south after that time. Sneden includes dates at various locations to place troops in time.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
- - Gettysburg (Pa.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Harpers Ferry (W. Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Sharpsburg (Md.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Maryland--Sharpsburg
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg
- - United States--West Virginia--Harpers Ferry
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 4, p. 542).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15 x 14 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa.
Harpers Ferry (w. Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map shewing sic movements of Union and Rebel armies from 30th June to 13th July 1863]. [to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00047/. (Accessed July 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) [Map shewing sic movements of Union and Rebel armies from 30th June to 13th July 1863]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00047/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map shewing sic movements of Union and Rebel armies from 30th June to 13th July 1863]. [to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00047/>.