Maps Rebel defences [sic] of Charleston Harbor, S.C., December 11th, 18
About this Item
- Rebel defences [sic] of Charleston Harbor, S.C., December 11th, 18
- Outlines the harbor of Charleston, S.C., beginning with the convergence of the Ashley and Cooper rivers and continuing to the Atlantic Ocean. Sneden traveled through the harbor on a Confederate steamer on December 11 headed for exchange and gives in this map a detailed picture of the many Confederate forts and batteries along the harbor as well as all types of vessels, especially noting the Union vessels that were awaiting the Confederate steamer on which Sneden was riding. He indicates that the U.S. Monitor fleet backed up the Union exchange boats.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Navy--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Monitor (Ironclad)
- - Charleston (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Under the title: "From original Plan made by R.K. Sneden while a Prisoner of war."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 6, p. 218).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 17 x 14 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Rebel defences sic of Charleston Harbor, S.C., December 11th, 1864]. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00055/. (Accessed July 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) [Rebel defences sic of Charleston Harbor, S.C., December 11th, 1864]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00055/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Rebel defences sic of Charleston Harbor, S.C., December 11th, 1864]. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00055/>.