Maps [Map of the lower Potomac River showing picket lines, January 1862]
About this Item
- [Map of the lower Potomac River showing picket lines, January 1862]
- Concerns Union and Confederate pickets positioned north and south around Pohick Church and Accotink in Fairfax County, Va., in January 1862. Includes a balloon pictured near Pohick Church and labelled as "Decr. 1861," but as noted in Sneden's diary text on pp. 374-376, he indicates that Professor Thaddeus S. C. Lowe also was using the surveillance hot-air balloons in the same area in January of the next year.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Lowe, T. S. C.--(Thaddeus Sobieski Coulincourt),--1832-1913
- - Pohick Church (Fairfax County, Va.)
- - Balloons--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Accotink (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fairfax County--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Potomac River--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Aerial Operations--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Fairfax County
- - United States--Virginia--Accotink
- - United States--Potomac River
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - Related to another Sneden map entitled "Official Map of the Lower Potomac River Showing Picket Lines, Jany. 1862" (Mss5:1 Sn237:1, v. 1, p. 370) and the diary text on pp. 372-376.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1) Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (V. 1, p. 117).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 13 x 19 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Subjects(thaddeus Sobieski Coulincourt)
Lowe, T. S. C.
Pohick Church (fairfax County, Va.)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map of the lower Potomac River showing picket lines, January 1862]. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00059/. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1861) [Map of the lower Potomac River showing picket lines, January 1862]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00059/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Map of the lower Potomac River showing picket lines, January 1862]. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00059/>.