Maps Position of Union Army April 5th and 6th 1862
About this Item
- Position of Union Army April 5th and 6th 1862
- Shows the area of Wormsley Creek to the north and Poquoson River to the south as McClellan's forces prepared to launch the siege of Yorktown, Va. The locations of Howard's Bridge across the Poquoson and the road from Yorktown to Hampton are also indicated.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Peninsular Campaign, 1862--Maps
- - Virginia Peninsula (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Yorktown (Va.)--History--Siege, 1862--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Virginia Penninsula
- - United States--Virginia--Yorktown
- - Peninsular Campaign
- - "Map showing march of 3rd Army Corps from Howard's Bridge to the sawmill in front of Yorktown Va." -- Page caption.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 1, p. 562).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 12 x 13.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Virginia Peninsula (va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Position of Union Army April 5th and 6th 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00073/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Position of Union Army April 5th and 6th 1862. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00073/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Position of Union Army April 5th and 6th 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00073/>.