Maps Sketch of the manoeuvres [sic] on Antietam and Sharpsburg, Maryland. Septr 1862.
About this Item
- Sketch of the manoeuvres [sic] on Antietam and Sharpsburg, Maryland. Septr 1862.
- Shows the area from Sharpsburg east to Frederick, Md., and the positions of Lee's Confederate army as it faced McClellan's forces. The map also shows Hagerstown south to the Potomac River. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad is also indicated.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862--Maps
- - Antietam (Md.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Maryland--Antietam
- - Antietam, Battle of, Md
- - A smaller version of the same area is located on page 858.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 3, p. 862).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 12 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Sketch of the manoeuvres sic on Antietam and Sharpsburg, Maryland. Septr 1862]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00119/. (Accessed September 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) [Sketch of the manoeuvres sic on Antietam and Sharpsburg, Maryland. Septr 1862]. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00119/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Sketch of the manoeuvres sic on Antietam and Sharpsburg, Maryland. Septr 1862]. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00119/>.