Maps Chancellorsville, Va. Position of armies 3rd May 1863 at 8 a.m. to 5 1/2 p.m.
About this Item
- Chancellorsville, Va. Position of armies 3rd May 1863 at 8 a.m. to 5 1/2 p.m.
- The map shows Union troops to the east near the Chancellor House and Confederate soldiers under Stuart to the west near Dowdall's Tavern, Va. At daybreak on May 3, Jackson's corps, now under Early's command, seized a low hill overlooking Chancellorsville from which they were able to shell the Union forces. With the Confederate forces attacking on several sides, the Union line formed an ever constricting semicircle, with the Rapidan River to the left and the Rappahannock to the right. Meanwhile, Sedgwick's 6th Corps, having finally succeeded in taking Fredericksburg, began marching toward Chancellorsville to relieve Hooker, only to be stopped at Salem Church by Lee.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Chancellorsville
- - Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 309).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 13 x 15.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Chancellorsville, Va. Position of armies 3rd May 1863 at 8 a.m. to 5 1/2 p.m. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00136/. (Accessed December 07, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Chancellorsville, Va. Position of armies 3rd May 1863 at 8 a.m. to 5 1/2 p.m. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00136/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Chancellorsville, Va. Position of armies 3rd May 1863 at 8 a.m. to 5 1/2 p.m. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00136/>.