Maps Siege of Port Hudson
About this Item
- Siege of Port Hudson
- The map shows the Union troops on land and water surrounding Confederate fortifications at Port Hudson, La., on the Mississippi River, approximately 25 miles north of Baton Rouge. The Union XIX Corps under Gen. Banks had its first engagement May 26th on the Bayou Sara Road, and laid siege to the fort on May 27th. Confederate Gen. Franklin Gardner surrendered Port Hudson on July 9th, 1863, after having been under siege for six weeks and upon hearing news of the fall of Vicksburg to Gen. Grant on July 4th.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss,--1816-1894
- - Gardner, Franklin,--1823-1873
- - Louisiana--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Port Hudson (La.)--History--Siege, 1863--Maps
- - United States--Louisiana--Port Hudson
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 426).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15 x 12 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Siege of Port Hudson. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00139/. (Accessed August 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Siege of Port Hudson. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00139/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Siege of Port Hudson. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00139/>.