Maps Map of the rebel position at Vicksburg, Miss., May 1863.
About this Item
- Map of the rebel position at Vicksburg, Miss., May 1863.
- Shows the Union troops surrounding the Confederate fortified city of Vicksburg, Miss., with blockades and forces on both sides of the Mississippi River. Shows the locations of outlying Confederate forts and other defenses including extensive use of abatis and felled trees to hinder overland advances. The map also indicates the position of Union gunboats on the Mississippi River south of the town of Warrenton, and the lines of Union troops to the east and west of Vicksburg.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Fortification--Confederate States of America
- - Mississippi--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Vicksburg (Miss.)--History--Siege, 1863--Maps
- - United States--Mississippi--Vicksburg
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 440).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15.5 x 12 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of the rebel position at Vicksburg, Miss., May 1863. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00140/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Map of the rebel position at Vicksburg, Miss., May 1863. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00140/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of the rebel position at Vicksburg, Miss., May 1863. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00140/>.