Maps Plan shewing [sic] the Rebel concentrated assault on the 3rd Corps, July 2nd
About this Item
- Plan shewing [sic] the Rebel concentrated assault on the 3rd Corps, July 2nd
- Map depicts the situation just prior to Union Gen. Daniel Edgar Sickles' having ordered his 3rd Corps into an advanced position on a ridge overlooking the Emmitsburg Road, unknowingly exposing his left flank. Confederate forces under Longstreet and Hill attacked him, overwhelming the Union position and forcing the troops back, thereby succeeding in forming a wedge between the 2nd and 3rd Corps. Sickles was injured in the fighting and lost a leg as a result.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Sickles, Daniel Edgar,--1825-1914
- - United States--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 3rd
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps
- - Gettysburg (Pa.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Pennsylvania--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg Region
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 576).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 13 x 15.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
SubjectsArmy of the Potomac
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa.
Sickles, Daniel Edgar
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Plan shewing sic the Rebel concentrated assault on the 3rd Corps, July 2nd]. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00145/. (Accessed October 20, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) [Plan shewing sic the Rebel concentrated assault on the 3rd Corps, July 2nd]. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00145/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. [Plan shewing sic the Rebel concentrated assault on the 3rd Corps, July 2nd]. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00145/>.