Maps Genl. Thomas' new position 20th Septr. 3 p.m.
About this Item
- Genl. Thomas' new position 20th Septr. 3 p.m.
- Map shows location of Union and Confederate troops between Missionary Ridge and West Chickamauga Creek. After Confederates succeeded in breaking through the Union lines, the bulk of the Union forces retreated toward Chattanooga. Union Gen. George H. Thomas and his men held onto a tenuous position on Snodgrass Hill and repulsed assault after assault.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865].
- Subject Headings
- - Thomas, George Henry,--1816-1870
- - Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga., 1863--Maps
- - Georgia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Georgia--Chickamauga
- - Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 4, p. 829).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 10.5 x 13 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Genl. Thomas' new position 20th Septr. 3 p.m. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00159/. (Accessed September 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Genl. Thomas' new position 20th Septr. 3 p.m. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00159/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Genl. Thomas' new position 20th Septr. 3 p.m. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00159/>.