Maps Position of Union Army at Cedar Creek Union position and plan of battle.
About this Item
- Position of Union Army at Cedar Creek Union position and plan of battle.
- However, what initially appeared to be an overwhelming success quickly turned to a rout when the Union forces were redeployed and launched a successful counterattack that drove the Confederates back across the Shenandoah to Fisher's Hill, with heavy losses of men, equipment and supplies.
- Map shows troop locations along the Strasburg Pike on either side of Cedar Creek, and along the north fork of the Shenandoah River. The Union army under Sheridan has paused in its movement up the Valley and is located northwest of Cedar Creek in the vicinity of Middletown and Belle Grove. Early's Confederates, having assessed the situation from their position at Fisher's Hill, decided to undertake a surprise attack on the Union rear. On the night of October 18th a portion of Early's army crossed to the south of the Shenandoah and marched east, recrossing the river at Bowman's Ford on the Union left flank. Meanwhile, several other divisions moved north along the Valley Pike in a position to launch a direct assault. Moving in before daylight, the Confederates took the Federals by complete surprise.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1864-1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Cedar Creek, Battle of, Va., 1864--Maps
- - Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1864 (August-November)--Maps
- - Shenandoah County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Shenandoah River Valley
- - Cedar Creek, Battle of, Va
- - Shenandoah Valley Campaign
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 6, p. 508).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 6 x 15 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Shenandoah River Valley
SubjectsCedar Creek, Battle Of, Va
Cedar Creek, Battle Of, Va.
Shenandoah County (va.)
Shenandoah River Valley
Shenandoah River Valley (va. And W. Va)
Shenandoah Valley Campaign
Shenandoah Valley Campaign, (august-November)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Position of Union Army at Cedar Creek Union position and plan of battle. [S.l., to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00196/. (Accessed July 23, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1861) Position of Union Army at Cedar Creek Union position and plan of battle. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00196/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Position of Union Army at Cedar Creek Union position and plan of battle. [S.l., to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00196/>.