Map Rebel defences [sic] of Mobile shewing [sic] Union attack April 3rd-9th 1865 on Spanish Fort.
About this Item
- Rebel defences [sic] of Mobile shewing [sic] Union attack April 3rd-9th 1865 on Spanish Fort.
- Map shows route taken by Union Admiral Farragut in August 1864 as well as that in March 1865, when his fleet provided naval support to land forces under Frederick Steele and E.R.S. Camby. Camby captured Spanish Fort and Blakely, across the bay from Mobile, entering that city on April 18. This map pays attention to the Confederates use of spikes and torpedoes (naval mines) as defenses against an invasion by water.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
Created / Published
- [S.l., 1865]
- - Mobile (Ala.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Mobile Bay (Ala.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Naval operations
- - United States--Alabama--Mobile Region
- - United States--Alabama--Mobile Bay Region
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 6, p. 620).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 15.5 x 13.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Rebel defences sic of Mobile shewing sic Union attack April 3rd-9thon Spanish Fort. [S.l, 1865] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00201/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1865) Rebel defences sic of Mobile shewing sic Union attack April 3rd-9thon Spanish Fort. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00201/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Rebel defences sic of Mobile shewing sic Union attack April 3rd-9thon Spanish Fort. [S.l, 1865] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00201/>.