Maps Battlefield of Bull Run August 29th and 30th 1862.
About this Item
- Battlefield of Bull Run August 29th and 30th 1862.
- Shows the area of the Bull Run battlefield with the disposition of Union and Confederate forces. Union Gen. Pope's command faced that of Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson, unaware that Longstreet's command had arrived to reinforce Jackson's position. On the second day of fighting, an assault by Pope's forces was repulsed by Jackson's troops, while Longstreet attacked Pope's unprotected left flank. Pope was defeated, but was able to retreat across Bull Run with the bulk of his force intact.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Confederate States of America.--Army of Northern Virginia.--Corps, 2nd
- - Confederate States of America.--Army of Northern Virginia.--Corps, 1st
- - United States.--Army of Virginia
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Manassas Region
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 200).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 25.5 x 18 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
SubjectsArmy of Northern Virginia
Army of Virginia
Bull Run, 2nd Battle Of, Va
Bull Run, 2nd Battle Of, Va.
Confederate States of America
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Battlefield of Bull Run August 29th and 30th 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00220/. (Accessed January 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Battlefield of Bull Run August 29th and 30th 1862. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00220/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Battlefield of Bull Run August 29th and 30th 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00220/>.