Maps Plan of the battle of Mine Run, Virginia : fought Monday 30th Novr. 1863.
About this Item
- Plan of the battle of Mine Run, Virginia : fought Monday 30th Novr. 1863.
- Meade's intention was to cross the Rapidan River at Germanna Ford, travel west toward Orange Court House, and force Lee from his position in Orange County, just south of river. Alerted to these movements, Lee deployed his forces in strong defensive positions along Mine Run. There being no feasible point of attack, Meade withdrew his forces to winter quarters at Culpeper.
- Details on this map include the Rapidan River to the north, Richardsville on the Rappahannock River to the northeast, Mine Run to the west and the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to the south.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Mine Run Campaign, Va., 1863--Maps
- - Orange County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Orange County
- - Mine Run Campaign, Va
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Color coding indicates the locations of Union and Confederate forces.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 273).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 28 x 19 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of Mine Run, Virginia: fought Monday 30th Novr. 1863. [to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00229/. (Accessed July 24, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Plan of the battle of Mine Run, Virginia: fought Monday 30th Novr. 1863. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00229/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of Mine Run, Virginia: fought Monday 30th Novr. 1863. [to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00229/>.