Map Fort Wagner. Morris Island
About this Item
- Fort Wagner. Morris Island
- In July 1863, Union Generals Gillmore and Dahlgren hoped to take Fort Wagner, on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor, in order to gain a vantage point from which to launch an attack on the city of Charleston. Strongly defended, the first Union assaults (July 10th and 18th) resulted in extremely high casualties. Gillmore began formal siege operations and had reached to base of the fort by September 6th. The Confederate forces abandoned the fort during the night.
- This map includes Folly Island to the south of Morris Island, Charleston Harbor to the northeast and Coles Island to the north.
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
Created / Published
- - Morris Island, Battle of, S.C., 1863 (July 10-Spetember 7)--Maps
- - Fort Wagner (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--South Carolina--Morris Island
- - United States--South Carolina--Fort Wagner
- - Morris Island, Battle of, S.C
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Confederate fortifications on Morris Island.
- - "Genl. Gillmore's works in front of Fort Wagner, July 1863." - Page caption.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 310).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 11 x 18.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Fort Wagner. Morris Island. [to 1865, 1863] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00230/.
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Fort Wagner. Morris Island. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00230/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Fort Wagner. Morris Island. [to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00230/>.