Maps Plan of Battle of Cold Harbor, Va. : June 1st and 3rd 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of Battle of Cold Harbor, Va. : June 1st and 3rd 1864.
- The area of Hanover County, Va., covered by this map extends from Mechanicsville to the northwest, the Chickahominy River to the south and Cold Harbor to the east.
- The Confederate army was already in place along the lowlands of the Chickahominy River when Grant's army arrived on June 1. There was some fighting late in the day, with no Federal progress, but both sides spent the bulk of the time reinforcing their positions and preparing for a full-scale assault on the morrow. June 2 found the Union army facing ammunition shortages and fatigue, so the planned early morning assault was delayed until until late afternoon, only to be further postponed by heavy rain. In the early morning of June 3rd the Union forces made a quick and strong attack hoping to break through the enemy's lines, but were met by a Confederate force that was well-prepared and refused to yield. Union losses were overwhelming and around noon Grant called off the entire attack. His forces spent the remainder of the day reparing their lines and caring for the wounded. For over a week both armies remained entrenched, awaiting further developments.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Cold Harbor, Battle of, Va., 1864--Maps
- - Hanover County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Hanover County
- - United States--Virginia--Cold Harbor
- - Cold Harbor, Battle of, Va
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 334).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 11 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Battle of Cold Harbor, Va.: June 1st and 3rd 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00233/. (Accessed August 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of Battle of Cold Harbor, Va.: June 1st and 3rd 1864. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00233/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of Battle of Cold Harbor, Va.: June 1st and 3rd 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00233/>.