Maps Plan of the Battle of Spotsylvania C.H., Virginia : fought May 8th to 21st 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of the Battle of Spotsylvania C.H., Virginia : fought May 8th to 21st 1864.
- Shows the Confederate forces located around and to the north of Spotsylvania Court House, with the Po River at their back. The Union forces were positioned along the Ny River so as to attack on both the Confederate left and right. Several landmarks are indicated, including houses used as headquarters by various officers, and the "mule shoe" salient known as the "bloody angle" because of the fierce fighting and heavy losses required to take it.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of Va., 1864--Maps
- - Spotsylvania County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Spotsylvania County
- - Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 346).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 12.5 x 16.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Spotsylvania County (va.)
Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of Va.
Spotsylvania Court House, Battle Of, Va
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Spotsylvania C.H., Virginia: fought May 8th to 21st 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00238/. (Accessed July 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of the Battle of Spotsylvania C.H., Virginia: fought May 8th to 21st 1864. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00238/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the Battle of Spotsylvania C.H., Virginia: fought May 8th to 21st 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00238/>.