Maps The Battle of Fair Oaks, Va. Fought 31st May 1862.
About this Item
- The Battle of Fair Oaks, Va. Fought 31st May 1862.
- This map shows an area of Henrico County, Va., east of the city of Richmond and south of the Chickahominy River, where the Battle of Fair Oaks, or Seven Pines, took place 31 May-1 June 1862. Confederate Gen. J. E. Johnston's plan to attack the Union Army of the Potomac's IV Corps (under Keyes) at Fair Oaks called for Longstreet to approach from the northeast via the Nine Mile Road; D. H. Hill was at attack second from the southeast along the Williamsburg Road; and Huger was to protect the Confederate right flank from the Charles City Road. Thanks to confusion that resulted in Longstreet's forces blocking Hill's and Huger's, and strong reinforcement of the Union lines, the battle, though fierce, was essentially a draw.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Hill, D. H.--(Daniel Harvey),--1821-1889
- - Huger, Benjamin,--1805-1877
- - Johnston, Joseph E.--(Joseph Eggleston),--1807-1891
- - Keyes, Erasmus D.--(Erasmus Darwin),--1810-1895
- - Longstreet, James,--1821-1904
- - United States.--Army of the Potomac.--Corps, 4th
- - Fair Oaks, Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Peninsular Campaign, 1862--Maps
- - Henrico County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Henrico County
- - Fair Oaks, Battle of, Va
- - Peninsular Campaign
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 153).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 28 x 23.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Army of the Potomac
Fair Oaks, Battle Of, Va
Fair Oaks, Battle Of, Va.
Henrico County (Va.)
Hill, D. H.
Johnston, Joseph E.
Keyes, Erasmus D.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Fair Oaks, Va. Fought 31st May 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00250/. (Accessed December 05, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) The Battle of Fair Oaks, Va. Fought 31st May 1862. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00250/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. The Battle of Fair Oaks, Va. Fought 31st May 1862. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00250/>.